Make Apples Part of Your Daily Diet
Keep apples handy as a snack at work, put them in your lunch, eat one on break or chop one up in your salad. For a tasty dessert try baking an apple with a touch of cinnamon. Add chopped apples to your oatmeal. Use applesauce instead of shortening in your baked goods (1 to 1) to reduce fat and calories.
Apple Tuna Sandwich
Makes 3 servings.
1 can tuna in water drained
1 small apple chopped
¼ cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. honey
6 slices whole wheat bread
|Combine and mix the tuna, apple, yogurt, mustard and honey. Spread ½ cup of the mixture on three bread slices. Top each slice of bread with lettuce and remaining bread. Cut sandwiches in half or as desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 302, Fat 5g, Carbohydrates 45g, Protein 21g.
Sliced Honey Apples
Makes 4 servings.
¾ cup honey
½ cup vinegar
2 cups apples
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
¼ cup water
|In a saucepan heat the honey, vinegar, cinnamon and water. While heating the honey mixture, peel, core, and slice the apples. When honey mixture begins to boil, begin dropping the apple slices into mixture a few at a time. When apple slices look transparent take them out. Serve chilled or warm with dessert.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 933, Fat 1g, Carbohydrates 255g, Protein 1g.
Yields 5 pints.
4 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
1 cup water
1 cup apple cider
Brown sugar as needed
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. allspice
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
|1. Cook the apples in the liquid until soft. Pass through a food mill. Add ½ cup brown sugar for each cup of puree. Add the spices, rind and lemon juice and cook over very low heat until thick and dark brown. This may take 3 to 4 hours.
2. If not to be used within a week or two, pour into hot sterilized jars and seal tightly.
Nutrition information per serving (1 pint): Carbohydrates 67g, Fat 2g, Calories 260, Protein 1g.
French Style Chicken with Apples
Makes 6 servings.
Prep Time: 20 minutes.
6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Onion, sliced
1 can (10 oz.) Condensed chicken broth
3 T Apple brandy, cider, or apple juice
3 Empire apples, cored and sliced
6-8 Artichoke hearts, cut in half
Pinch of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper
Minced fresh dill and parsley
|Spray a large, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Brown chicken breasts on both sides. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Stir in sliced onion, apples, artichokes, broth, juice and spices. Cook 3 minutes. Spread chicken breasts in skillet; arrange apples, onion, and artichokes on top. Simmer covered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and heated through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or dill and apple slices before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 241, Fat 5g, Calories from Fat 18%, Cholesterol 66mg, Fiber 3g, Sodium 252mg.
Apple Yogurt Trifle
Makes 4 servings.
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and finely chopped
2 8-oz. containers low fat cherry yogurt
10 Tbsp. Grape-Nuts cereal
Green apple and cherry yogurt create ribbons of lovely color in this wholesome snack.
1. Evenly divide half of the chopped apple pieces among four parfait dishes or tall glasses.
2. Divide yogurt from one 8-oz. container among dishes.
3. Add 2 Tbsp. Grape-Nuts to each trifle, then top with layers of remaining yogurt, chopped apple and a sprinkle of Grape-Nuts on top.
4. Refrigerate at least 15-20 minutes before serving to allow cereal to soften slightly.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 210, Fat 1g, Sodium 186mg, Carbohydrates 44g, Cholesterol 5mg, Protein 7g.
Makes 6 (2/3 cup) servings.
1 cup carrot, shredded
3 (medium), unpared and diced apples
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup raisins
⅓ cup cholesterol free, reduced fat mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients. Chill thoroughly. Serve on salad greens.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 126, Fat 4g, Cholesterol 3mg, Fiber 2g, Sodium 89 mg.
Makes 4 servings.
2 Jonagold or Golden Delicious apples,
peeled, halved, and cored
2 cups apple juice or water
½ cup orange marmalade
2 large egg whites
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. chopped, toasted almonds
|1. In small saucepot, poach apples in apple juice 8 to 10 minutes or until barely tender; drain. Spoon 2 Tbsp. marmalade into center of each half.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Gradually beat in sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in almonds. Cover tops of apple halves to edges with egg white mixture; place on baking sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 264, Fat 3g, Carbohydrate 60g, Protein 3g, Fiber 2g, Sodium, 35mg, Cholesterol 0.
Spicy Apple-Filled Squash
Makes 4 servings.
1 acorn squash (about 1 lb.)
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 tsp. melted butter or margarine
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Dash ground cloves
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1-quart baking dish. Halve squash and remove seeds; cut into quarters. Place quarters, skin side up, in dish and cover; bake 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine apple, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
2. Turn cut sides of acorn squash up; top with apple mixture. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
Quick microwave version
Halve and seed squash; cut into quarters. Arrange quarters, cut side up, in microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave on high (100 percent) 6 to 7 minutes, rotating squash halfway through cooking time. Top squash with apple mixture, cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition information serving: Calories 88, Fat 3g, Carbohydrate 17g, Protein 1g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 24mg, Cholesterol, 0g.
Click Here to return to the apple library page.