Make Strawberries Part of Your Daily Diet
- Wake up with 5 A Day! Add sliced banana, strawberries, or raisins to cereal, yogurt, or oatmeal.
- Use fresh strawberries as a topping for ice cream, pancakes, and waffles.
- Add fresh strawberries to fruit salads and compotes or use them as an ingredient in muffins and pancakes.
- Combine strawberries with other fresh fruits for pretty salad presentations.
- Make frozen fruit kabobs for kids using pineapple chunks, bananas, grapes, and strawberries.
- Add fresh or frozen strawberries to your smoothies for a refreshing treat.
Strawberry Breakfast Salsa
Two 5 A Day servings
1/3 cup apricot jam
3 Tbsp water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 pint baskets of strawberries, stemmed and cut into ¼-inch dice
In medium bowl whisk jam, water and cinnamon; add strawberries. Toss gently to combine. Serve salsa over pancakes, waffles, French toast, hot cereal, or mix into plain yogurt.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 147, Fat 1g, Calories from Fat 6%, Cholesterol 0mg, Fiber 4g, Sodium 7mg.
Strawberry Spa Turkey Salad
Three 5 A Day servings
6 Tbsp chopped prepared mango chutney
¼ cup nonfat plain yogurt
¼ cup nonfat mayonnaise dressing
2 Tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
8 slices (1 oz each) cooked, skinless turkey breast
2 pint basket strawberries, stemmed and halved
1 cup red seedless grapes
¾ cup celery, sliced
½ cup red onion, chopped
Mint sprigs, for garnish
In small bowl whisk chutney, yogurt, mayonnaise and lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Line platter or 4 individual serving plates with lettuce; top with turkey, strawberries, grapes, celery and onion. Drizzle with chutney dressing; garnish with mint sprigs.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 261, Fat 4g, Calories from Fat 12%, Cholesterol 44mg, Fiber 5g, Sodium 282mg.
No Crust Strawberry Pie
One 5 A Day serving
3 cups fresh strawberries
1 (2.1 ounce) package sugar-free cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (.6 ounce) package sugar-free strawberry flavored gelatin
2 cups water
Rinse and hull strawberries. Distribute evenly in a 10-inch pie pan. In a medium saucepan combine pudding mix, gelatin mix, and water. Stir well and bring to a full boil. Pour mixture over strawberries and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours. Top with light or low fat frozen whipped topping prior to serving, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 58, Fat 0.3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Fiber 2g, Sodium 187mg, Protein 1.7g.
Click Here to return to the strawberry library page.