- 2 (16-ounce) cans unsweetened tart cherries or 4 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pastry for 2-crust, 9-inch pie
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 tablespoon of cherry juice concentrate
If using canned cherries, drain them well. Discard the juice or save for another use. If using frozen cherries, it is not necessary to thaw them. Combine well drained canned cherries or frozen cherries, granulated sugar, tapioca and almond extract in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
Let stand 15 minutes. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; fill with cherry mixture. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for steam to escape, or cut top crust into strips and make a lattice-top pie.
Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 50 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
Learn more about National Cherry Month