Carrots with Dried Cherry Character
Plain carrots become an elegant side dish with cherries, nutmeg and ginger.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 3 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon cherry juice
Cook carrots in water in a covered 2-quart saucepan 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well. Add dried cherries, maple syrup, cherry juice
, butter, nutmeg and ginger to cooked carrots; mix to combine ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings TIPS
- Bread stuffing tastes better with the addition of dried tart cherries.
- Dried tart cherries make good additions to rice pilaf or rice pudding.
- Liven up green salads by sprinkling dried tart cherries over them.
- Add dried cherries to oatmeal or other cereals for a breakfast treat.
← Older Post
Newer Post →