In this post I would like share information about the Acai berry.
Did you know different fruits offer different health benefits? The Acai can be used on a daily basis and combined with a tart cherry juice daily routine. After reading this information, you may consider mixing some acai berry with cherry juice concentrate for a great tasting and anti-oxidant packed drink.
The acai (written with accents as açaí and pronounced as ah-saa-yee) is a berry that grows naturally in the Brazil region of the Amazonian rainforest. There are seven different kinds of acai berries, all of which grow on the Euterpe genus of palms.
The palm which produces the acai is a tall palm, that can grow to a height of up to 100 feet (30 meters). The acai berries grow in the form of clusters on the palm, and these clusters are not quite different from grape clusters. They hang in a similar manner and are almost the same size as well. They are only different in their color, which is a dark purple. These berries are seeded, one seed in each berry.
Acai Berries—Traditional Roots
The acai berry forms a part of the traditional diet of the Brazilian people, especially the Caboclo populations of the country. In fact, more than 42% of the total dietary intake of these people composes of the acai berry. People of these tribes were known to go on hunting trips for long hours without feeling hungry.
Looking back, medical experts believe that it is the appetite-suppressing properties of the acai berry that allowed people to hunt for long hours without feeling the pangs of hunger. Acai has been consumed in various forms in Brazil over the ages.
One of the popular traditional forms was cuia, where acai was mixed with gourd and served. Different gourds were used for this preparation. Another popular traditional dish is a muesli-like preparation with granola, which is simply called as acai in the bowl.
Acai Berries—Health Benefits
• There is a very long list of health benefits ascribed to the acai berry. All of these are due to the high antioxidant content in it. The purple fruit gets its color because of a host of plant nutrients, which have antioxidant property.
• These are mostly anthocyanins, which contribute immensely to the nutritional value of the berry. This has its positive effect on the palm where the berry grows and on the humans that consume it as well.
• Since the wear and tear in the body is brought about by free radicals that enter the body through the things we eat and drink, the acai berry’s antioxidant action in eliminating these free radicals is worth mentioning. By eliminating this effect, the acai berry improves the functioning of the body.
• It is able to improve the various metabolic activities that take place in the body. The body can work better at its basic functions, and also repairs the wear and tear that inevitably happens to it over time.
The following are some of the benefits that have been ascribed to the acai berry:-
• By improving digestion, the acai berry can bring about a significant amount of weight loss. This happens in various ways. Learn more losing weight now!
Firstly, the antioxidant properties of the acai berry help in improving the digestive metabolism of the body due to which food gets digested faster.
• This takes care of the fact that fat is burned faster as well. The acai can also suppress hunger, which is a direct method for losing weight. Additionally, the antioxidants present within the berry can remove obstinate fat from the body, which has been accumulated over the ages.
• The acai berry is also helpful in preventing early signs of aging. In people who have a lot of free radical action in their body, the wear and tear of the skin takes place faster. Hence, they begin to develop signs such as wrinkles, scars, crows’ feet, dark spots, etc. on the skin. However, by removing the free radicals, the repair mechanism of the skin becomes faster. The skin then becomes more youthful and clearer.
• The acai berry helps in improving mental concentration. The berry can stimulate a person to think better and can give them relief from psychological disorders such as stress and depression.
• Acai berry is also a cleanser of the body, especially a colon cleanser. The colon can accumulate a lot of waste indigested material over the years and this can cause several problems in the end. By improving the body’s metabolism, the acai berry helps in the elimination of these substances from the body. However, one should remember that there is no FDA approval for most of these claims, as is the case with many of the berries that are counted as health foods.
Check out these Acai Berry Supplements
Acai Berries—Where to Get Them
One of the biggest problems with the acai berry is that it is highly perishable. After it is plucked from the tree, it needs to be consumed within 24 hours, because the degradation process begins after that and then the berry becomes useless. That is the reason why this berry wasn’t found out of Brazil much so far.
However, now, several enterprising business people have started preparing products from the acai berry that have a high state of preservation. This includes freeze-dried powders, pulps, juices and so on. In most cases, acai is mixed with other healthful berries in these products so as to enhance their value.
If you are living outside Brazil, then the best way to get acai is through the Internet. Products are shipped to various destinations around the globe by these companies. Recently, several stores have started stocking acai products as well. Costs of these products differ. Most of them are priced between $30 and $40 for a month’s supply.